Cal Poly’s Mustang Media Group Wins 26 State and National Awards at Two Conferences
SAN LUIS OBISPO — Mustang Media Group, the Cal Poly Journalism Department’s student-run media organization, has received 26 awards in the span of five months.
The student journalists received statewide recognition with 15 awards from the California Collegiate Media Association at the Associated Collegiate Press’ National Midwinter Journalism Convention held in early March. In addition, Professor Brady Teufel was named the Journalism Educator of the Year in the four-year division.
Earlier in the 2017-18 academic year, the students also earned national recognition with 10 awards from College Media Association’s (CMA) 2017 Pinnacle Awards at the ACP/CMA Fall National College Media Convention in October.
CMA Pinnacle Awards
The College Media Association’s Pinnacle Awards honor the best college media organizations and individual work. The contest is open to student work produced for any college media organization — including print, broadcast and online outlets — during an academic year. Founded in 1954, CMA has more than 800 members across the nation. It supports both new and veteran advisors of collegiate media programs with conventions, workshops, publications and national networking.
- First Place, Best Display Ad - Erica Patstone (Valley Center, Calif.)
- First Place, Best Portrait - Matt Lalanne (Porterville, Calif.)
- First Place, Best Social Media Main Page - Aaron Matsuda (Sacramento, Calif.)
- First Place, Best TV Special Event Coverage - Ayrton Ostly (Los Gatos, Calif.), Connor McCarthy (Carlsbad, Calif.), and Leah Pezzetti (Sacramento, Calif.)
- Second Place, Best Multimedia Campaign - Ellen Fabini (El Cerrito, Calif.)
- Third Place, Best Ad Campaign - Erica Patstone (Valley Center, Calif.)
- Third Place, Best Multimedia Breaking News Story - Mustang News Staff
- Third Place, Best Television Sportscast - Mustang News TV/Mustang Media Group
- Third Place, Best Viral Video - Gina Randazzo (Ventura, Calif.), Naba Ahmed (Hawthorne, Calif.), and James Hayes (San Luis Obispo, Calif.)
- Honorable Mention, Best Ad Supplement - Mustang News Staff
- California Journalism and Media Affiliates Educator of the Year - Professor Brady Teufel
CCMA awards for Mustang Media Group staff
The California College Media Association hosts a competition honoring excellence in college journalism. Categories include advertising, digital, visual, writing and overall excellence. CCMA formed in 2004 to foster cooperation among colleges in the state in order to give a unified voice in addressing problems and issues that college news media face, to provide support and communications to advisors and editors, to nurture college journalists and to share resources.
- First Place, Best Advertising Special Section
- First Place, Best Online Campaign (KCPR-FM)
- First Place, Best Color Ad
- Second Place, Best Online Ad
- Second Place, Best Ad Campaign
- Second Place, Best Use of Social Media for a Single Event
- Third Place, Best Black and White Ad
- Third Place, Best Multimedia Presentation
- Third Place, Best Overall Newspaper Design
- Honorable Mention, Best Use of Social Media for a Single Story
Five CCMA awards individually recognized students
- Second Place, Best Infographic - Brendan Matsuyama (Manteca, Calif.)
- Second Place, Best Photo Illustration - Chris Gateley (Seattle, Wash.)
- Third Place, Best Sports Feature Story - Erik Engle (Petaluma, Calif.)
- Third Place, Best Feature Photograph - Matt Lalanne (Porterville, Calif.)
- Honorable Mention, Best Newspaper Front Page Design - Zack Spanier (San Diego, Calif.)
Mustang Media Group is a fully integrated student media organization at Cal Poly. The media arm includes print, digital, TV and radio through Mustang News, CPTV and KCPR-FM, as well as Central Coast PRspectives, which provides public relations and marketing services, and Green and Gold Digital, which provides myriad services to clients.
Contact: Hannah Avdalovic