July 9, 2015
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Haley Marconett
Cal Poly Issues Voluntary Recall of Several Cal Poly Dark Chocolate Varieties
SAN LUIS OBISPO — The Cal Poly Food Science & Nutrition Department, in conjunction with the Cal Poly Corporation, is voluntarily recalling several varieties of Cal Poly Chocolates dark chocolate candy bars because of an undeclared allergen.
An ingredient reformulation included the addition of milk to the dark chocolate candy bars, but the milk was not included in the ingredient list.
The products are sold at retail outlets and farmers markets around California’s Central Coast, at on-campus locations, and online through the Cal Poly Bookstore. A limited edition Raspberry Crisp Bar was also sold at Cal Poly’s Open House event in April 2015, and a limited edition Original Bark candy was sold and distributed as gifts in June 2015.
No illnesses have been reported. The voluntary recall is being initiated out of an abundance of caution.
Customers who have purchased the affected product and have an allergy to milk should not consume it and can bring it back to the store at which they purchased it for a full refund, or contact the Cal Poly Food Science & Nutrition Department at 805-756-2660.
The voluntary product recall includes the below products made and sold since July 29, 2014:
- Cal Poly Chocolates Dark Chocolate Bar; UPC no. 745711562101
- Cal Poly Chocolates Peppermint Crunch Bar; UPC no. 745711564105
- Cal Poly Chocolates Coffee Crunch Bar; UPC no. 745711565102
- Cal Poly Chocolates Spicy Cayenne Bar; UPC no. 745711567106
- Cal Poly Chocolates Raspberry Crisp Bar (limited edition; no UPC code)
- Cal Poly Chocolates Original Bark candy (limited edition; no UPC code)
# # #